Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Of Sore Teeth and Street Hockey

Happy Valentine's Day everybody!

I hate this day, but that's another story. I would like to tell you about playing streetNeal falls flat on his ass! hockey in Mokpo. This is not an easy task. A long time ago Neal, Kevin and I (the Alberta boys) bought hockey sticks in Seoul. These are not new sticks, they are good old, made-in-Canada, Bauer, wooden sticks. How do I know they are old? My stick has a signature curve from Adam Graves. At the time we bought them, we didn't have any ideas of where to play or what we would do with just the three of us. Good thing there are so many Canadians in Mokpo. Neal went to Canada last month and came back with goalie pads and a goalie stick. And Rich has volunteered to have things shot at him. And we found a place that's flat enough and wide enough for a small game of hockey. And we found a net. And the Koreans broke it. And we fixed it, but it's not very good. And we use it anyway. Now we are going to try to build a new net, but for the time being we will have to make do with what we have. Playing defence Not a high stick!

On Monday I broke a tooth. I noticed that one of my molars had a crack in it, and when I tried to figure out how bad it was, I ended up breaking a piece of my tooth right off. So I've decided that I need to drink more milk here. Probably not enough calcium in my diet. Anyway, it didn't hurt at all, which was kind of nice. Dawn has a student who's father is a dentist, and it turns out his office is pretty near our place, so I went on down for a look. Turns out a lot of that tooth was decayed, so he took out lots of it and filled it back up. When all was said and done, it cost 50 bucks and took about an hour. I started to regain feeling about 2 hours later, and by the time I went to bed I was in a considerable amount of pain. Thankfully, it went away by the middle of the night and I woke up pain-free. Unfortunately it still hurts quite a bit when I bite. So I think if it still hurts tomorrow I will go back. The dentist said if there is spontaneous pain or hypersensitivity to hot or cold, I should go back for a root canal. Yee-haw! I'm hoping this pain goes away.

I also got some recording done with Jordan on Sunday, but his electric guitar has developed a terminal buzz, and has to be replaced. So that puts a bit of a kink in our plans. However, he has resolved to get a new one post-haste, so we should be back on track soon.

Anyway, enjoy your manufactured holiday!

1 comment:

Paulus Wrex said...

I seem to be the only one foolhardy enough to post a comment, or everyone is illiterate. Anyhoo, Dave, make sure it be milk, not malk they be servin' ye. Well done on bringing the good ol' hockey game to the barbarians, and bring me back an Esa Tikkanen signature stick. Ta!